Friday, December 12, 2008

A Christmas Memory

I am feeling very festive now as we are entering the Christmas season. As I was pondering upon past holidays I remembered one memorable experience I had as a young child.

On this one Christmas we were visting my grandparents in Arkansas. I remember laying by the tree with my Grandpa. We were talking about Christmas, why we give gifts, and what the tree represents. Then I asked my Grandpa why there was an angel on top of the tree. So, he gathered my brother, my sister, and me around him on the floor and told us the following story of why there is an angel on the top of every Christmas tree.

"It was Christmas Eve and Santa was feeling the Pre-Christmas pressure. Half of his elves had become sick and the trainee elves had not produce toys as fast. Mrs. Claus had just told Santa her Mother was coming for a long visit, which stressed Santa even more.
Santa went to barn to harness the reindeer and found three of them were about to give birth. The others had jumped the fence and were out, Heaven knows where.
He began to load the sleigh and one of the floorboards broke. His toy bag fell to the ground where all the toys scattered on the ice.
Frustrated, Santa went back to the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum. Opening the cupboard, he discovered the elves had drank all the cider and hidden the liquor. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the cider jug, and it broke into hundreds of little glass pieces all over the kitchen floor.
Just then the doorbell rang. An irritated Santa marched to the door, yanked it open, and there stood a little angel with a great big Christmas tree.
The angel said very cheerfully, 'Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't this a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?' Santa quickly not only told him where to stick it, but Santa himself stuck it where the sun don't shine.

And so began the tradition of a little angel stuck on the top of the Christmas tree."

Don't you just love all those wonderful Christmas memories?

No comments: