Friday, September 12, 2008

What happened on September 13th?

Tomorrow, Sept 13, is Laura’s 36th Birthday. So, I thought I would do a little research on things that come in packs of 36 or in a size 36 or in 36 oz. I quickly realized that since the Big Gulp actually came in 32oz and not 36oz that I should go a different route. So, I decided that it would work better to go with things that happened on September 13th.
First, let’s cover people who were also born on September 13th.
1980 Ben Savage – I never really liked his show, but they did play some great music in the background.1977 Fiona Apple – Laura can relate some with Fiona because sometimes she too has…“been a bad, bad girl - I've been careless with a delicate man - And it's a sad, sad world - When a girl will break a boy just because she can”. (Criminal Lyrics by Fiona Apple) Not to me, but you may hear differently from one or two of her ex-boyfriends.1948 Nell Carter – Dear blessed Nell Carter was the caretaker to my first true love, Katie Kanisky on Gimme a Break! I quickly realized that it would not work out as a young man and was grateful that I found Laura my real first true love. The resemblance is a little scary.

This is Katie
1938 Judith Martin (authority on etiquette) – We all know how important etiquette is to Laura.1925 Mel Torme – Mr. Torme was nicknamed the “velvet fog” because of his unique voice. Funny that Laura calls me the velvet fog too. You will have to ask her why.
Now some other holidays, besides Laura’s Birthday, that occur on September 13th.
Pennsylvania John Barry Day“Now, Therefore, I, William J. Clinton, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 13, 1993, as Commodore John Barry Day. I invite all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities in honor of those individuals, past and present, who have served in the United States Navy.” Every Sept 13 in our home we all put on our sailor outfits and sing and dance to the classic “In the Navy” by the Village People. After reading this we now have a reason; who knew.

Rhodesia Pioneer Day
I have no idea what this holiday is about but YEEHAW anyway.

World Dante Alighieri DayDante Alighieri is a famous poet. I don’t think I have every read any of his poems, but I did hear once that he was the first person to do the whole “Roses are Red; Violets are Blue” thing. I don’t know if it is true, but if it is God Bless Him! Now in rememberance of World Dante Alighieri Day here is my attempt…
Roses are RedViolets are BlueI Love LauraAnd Hotdogs too!
Next I looked for some important historical events that occurred on Sept 13th. Wow, there were a lot. So, I am only including the really, really important ones.
· 1503 Michelangelo begins work on his David – And women’s expectations of their husbands have never been the same. Thanks Mike!
· 1549 Pope Paul III signs Council of Bologna – This is where they first sang ”My bologna has a first name it’s O – S – C – A - R, my bologna has a last name it’s M – A – Y – E - R”.
· 1609 Henry Hudson reaches the river that will later be named after him - the Hudson River. – If only he could see it today, he would be so proud.
· 1788 NY City becomes capital of US – Glad we got this changed!
· 1789 1st loan to US Govt (from NYC banks) – Look where that got us today.
· 1814 Francis Scott Key writes The Star-Spangled Banner – This was really cool.
· 1849 1st US prize fight fatality (Tom McCoy) – Luckily prize fighting wasn’t stopped, go Rocky!
· 1898 20,000 Paris construction workers go on strike – I think they are still on strike today.
· 1927 NY Yankees, win AL pennant – Again, I included this purely for Laura.
· 1943 Chiang Kai-shek became president of China – He was the inventor of potstickers, I think.
· 1946 Boston Red Sox, win AL pennant – Poor Yankees.
· 1948 Margaret Chase Smith (R-Me) elected senator, 1st woman to serve in
both houses of Congress – Leading the way for Sarah Palin.
· 1952 Adolfo Ruiz Cortinez elect president of Mexico – He started the Taco Bell chain and Sainted
· 1961 "Car 54 Where are You?" premieres on TV – What more needs to be said?
· 1963 Barbra Striesand & Elliot Gould marry – And we all thought it would last, so sad.
· 1965 Beatles release "Yesterday"
· 1965 Beatles win 1st Grammy, for Best Group of 1964
· 1965 Willie Mays hits his 500th HR
· 1985 John Williams introduces new Today Show theme – We all know that Laura is an official member of the Today show family.
· 1990 Law and Order debuts on NBC-TV – Don’t you just love the Babbub sound on this show.

But the most important thing that happened on this day was in 1972 when my wonderful and beautiful wife was born.

Happy Birthday Laura! Don’t forget you have 36 spankings coming and “there not the ones you like”!

3 comments:

Laura said...

You are a sweet pea! I am scared of how much there is a resemblance between me and your first love. See, that is why the blogging thing is great---I learned so much I never knew. Just sad about those spankings.....

Anonymous said...

I don't want to hurt Laura's feelings and say that you are funnier, but I will say that you are both very funny. I much enjoyed this September 13th history lesson.

Happy Birthday tomorrow Laura!

Bonnie said...

Such fun to her from you too. Brandon!! Happy Birthday Miss Laura!